EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2019-10-17 03:36:36
The design condition for the ZM 35mm f/1.4 Distagon is for 0.8mm thick sensor cover glass; see the MTF page for performance discussion for the as-designed platform of Leica M digital.
Mounting the 35/1.4 on a mirrorless Sony A7x camera (using an adapter) causes ray angle issues that severely degrade MTF because the sensor cover glass at 2.5mm thick refracts rays increasingly strongly away from center. Not until f/8 is reached does performance approach as-designed performance, and it is still impaired. See MTF charts below. On Micro Four Thirds, the sensor cover glass is typically 6mm thick, and the effects are extreme.
Article continues for subscribers...
fun88官网 Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
fun88官网 Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q, Leica SL.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.