EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2019-05-31 00:41:23
The Leica 16-35mm f/3.5-4.5 Super-Vario-Elmar-SL ASPH relies on software correction for distortion, including a jaw-droppingly huge amount at the 16mm setting—taking a cue from the extreme distortion of the Leica Q.
This page shows distortion at 16mm and comments on how much is lost to distortion correction, showing the effects with various crops at various resolutions.
It is noteworthy that with decades of history of including distortion graphs in data sheets, Leica does not include a distortion graph in the data sheet for the Leica 16-35mm f/3.5-4.5 Super-Vario-Elmar-SL ASPH (ditto for other SL lenses). Nor does Leica supply MTF charts that are measured with a real lens, nor do the computed for distortion correction losses in contrast.
Article continues for subscribers...
fun88官网 L-Mount Mirrorless is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now
fun88官网 L-Mount Mirrorless offers comprehensive coverage of emerging L-mount lens mount mirrorless cameras and lenses (Leica, Panasonic and Sigma L-Mount cameras and lenses). Available with fun88官网 Mirrorless as a bundle, or separately. (L-Mount = Leica, Panasonic and Sigma cameras and lenses using L-Mount).
- Choose the best camera and lenses for your needs, based on objective evaluation and comparisons.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning—best practices and how-to and processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Camera image quality, ergonomics, operation settings and considerations.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Capture superior images by understanding lens behavior discussed nowhere else.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Click on any page below to see an excerpt. Or see by topic, for example Panasonic S1R.